Sopra Steria, a European leader in consulting, digital services and software publishing, has been recognised as a global leader on corporate climate action by its inclusion in the CDP Climate Change ‘A’ List for the fourth consecutive year. Sopra Steria is also recognised as a "Supplier Engagement Leader" in 2020 the management of its suppliers, its governance policy and commitments.
Inclusion in the CDP Climate Change ‘A’ List rewards Sopra Steria for pursuing an environmental sustainability programme as part of its wider Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability strategy and making climate action ‘business as usual’ in its operations, supply chain and services to clients.
CDP’s annual environmental disclosure and scoring process is widely recognized as the gold standard of corporate environmental transparency. In 2020, over 515 investors with over US$106 trillion in assets and 150+ major purchasers with US$4 trillion in procurement spend requested companies to disclose data on environmental impacts, risks and opportunities through CDP’s platform. Over 9,600 responded – the highest ever.
We are delighted to make the CDP’s ‘A’ list for the fourth time in a row. Action for the climate and the environment has been at the heart of the Sopra Steria’s strategy for many years. The Group’s ability to anticipate and implement innovative initiatives ahead of the requirement has made us a corporate leader in the fight against climate change, declares Vincent Paris, CEO of Sopra Steria. More than ever, especially in this time of COVID 19 pandemic, we must keep mobilising all our stakeholders to build a sustainable world, he continued.
Sopra Steria’s successful environmental sustainability programme includes:
- Setting long-term, science-based reduction targets for greenhouse gas emissions (including Supply Chain), approved by the Science Based Target Initiative (SBTi), required to limit the rise in global average temperatures to 1.5°C, and becoming a ‘Net Zero’ emissions company by 2028;
- Implementing projects to reduce greenhouse gas emissions such as consumption reduction, moving to renewable energy, moving to energy efficient offices, leveraging technology to reduce business travel and using low-carbon modes of travel; • Strengthening its environmental programme aligned with three priorities:
- Net Zero: for non-avoided emissions, transitioning the carbon neutral programme for offices, data centres and business travel to ‘net zero’ with the inclusion of all other emissions from its value chain;
- Sustainable IT: accelerating the adoption of digital sustainability, particularly in selecting the infrastructure and technologies best aligned to the client’s and the Group’s sustainability objectives, in applying eco-design principles to solution development, and in assessing the value of new services against their environmental costs;
- IT for Sustainability: applying the potential of new technologies to develop innovative solutions that contribute to protect the environment and climate.
- Developing a culture with employees that embraces the best practice of Circular Economy and sound Environment Management principles.
Paul Simpson, CEO of CDP, said:
We extend our congratulations to all the companies on this year’s A List. Taking the lead on environmental transparency and action is one of the most important steps businesses can make, and is even more impressive in this challenging year marked by COVID-19. The scale of the risk to businesses from climate change, deforestation and water insecurity is enormous, and we know the opportunities of action far outweigh the risks of inaction. Leadership from the private sector will create an ‘ambition loop’ for greater government action and ensure that global ambitions for a net zero sustainable economy become a reality. Our A List celebrates those companies who are preparing themselves to excel in the economy of the future by taking action today.
Sopra Steria's commitment to climate action and the environment is part of the Group's desire to make digital technology an accelerator and a source of opportunity and progress for all.